As the weather turns cooler, there is nothing better than a cast iron skillet full of cornbread. Hopefully you’ll enjoy this recipe for Southern Buttermilk Cornbread as much as I do!
- 1 cup plus 3 Tbsp. plain yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, melted in cast-iron skillet
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cultured buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Melt butter in cast iron skillet and pour into glass measuring cup or bowl. Lightly grease skillet with leftover butter and heat in oven 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt in a bowl.
4. Whisk eggs in separate bowl and whisk into buttermilk. Whisk into the dry mixture until just smooth. Add in hot melted butter.
5. Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake at 400° for 30 to 33 minutes or until golden brown.