Admit it, we all have those colors we look great in. Then, there are the ones we should stay away from. I stay away from darks, because of my blonde hair. Hopefully the tips below will help you decide what colors will make you shine and be a fabulous Southern belle!
1. Choose the right colors for your hair color.
- Blondes look great in warm and bright shades such as yellows, oranges and rusts, as well as tans and taupes.
- Brunettes can wear a wide variety of colors, including greens, blues, oranges, chocolate browns and pinks.
- Redheads look best in browns and oranges, as well as taupes, ivories and greens.
- Those with gray hair will look good in bright colors such as red, rose, plum, purples and berry, and jewel tones, such as bright blues, clear greens and bold golds. Black and a real navy blue look good, but stay away from grays and pastels, beiges and tans. In general, choose bold, bright colors to wear near your face.
2. Test your underlying skin color.
- Pinch the skin on your earlobe, the back of your hand or the tip of your finger. The skin color you see for the following few seconds is your underlying skin color.
- If you see blue, pink, red-violet or rosy tones, you’ll look best in cool colors.
- If you see peach, golden, bright warm red or coral tones, warm colors are your best choices.
3. Compare colors against your skin and hair.
- Choose a variety of different colored fabrics. You want to select some that are warm, cool, muted, dark, light, and clear so you can test each against your skin and hair.
- In a space that is well lit by natural light, stand in front of a mirror and hold the colors to your face one by one.
- Select the colors that make you look healthy, your eyes sparkle and your skin glow.
- Avoid colors that make you look sallow, washed-out, tired, pale or otherwise unhealthy.
4. Wear colors that give you a monochromatic look.
- A monochromatic or single-toned look is best achieved by choosing colors in the same shade as your hair. It will make you look taller and slimmer. This look is more suited for non-gray hair colors.
- Blondes should wear yellows, primroses, or creams.
- Brunettes should choose chocolate brown.
- Redheads should choose rusts or orange.