It is hard to believe we are already celebrating day 10 out of our 12 days of Christmas! When they say time flies, they really mean time flies! Every year at Christmas, I like to take a moment to stop and reflect on the past year and the meaning of the season. Also during this time, I like to make new memories with my friends and family by reliving our Christmas traditions. Below are my top 5 favorite Christmas traditions!
5. Reading the Christmas story from the Bible before Christmas day lunch: Every year on Christmas day, right before my family’s meal, the youngest in the family (who is able to read) reads the Christmas story, Luke 2:1-20, to everyone. Helps everyone remember the true reason for the season.
4. Christmas Eve Lovefeast: Being from North Carolina, the traditional Moravian Christmas Eve lovefeast is something you grow up with. My favorite part: the congregation singing ‘Morning Star’ and the church sanctuary being lit by all the candles as everyone raises their candles to the ceiling.
3. Busting through Wrapping Paper on a Doorway Christmas Morning: Who doesn’t like waking up Christmas morning and wanting to see what Santa brought? But before you can do that, you have to bust through wrapping paper that covers the doorway to the tree first!
2. Listening to Christmas songs as We make Christmas Cookies: Bring out the George Strait, Scotty McCreery, and this year, ‘Duck the Halls!’ A few days before Christmas, my family makes Christmas cookies, while listening to classic country Christmas songs.
1. Spending time with my family: Ok, this might not be a true tradition, but family members always seem to come home during Christmas time. I guess it’s the magic in the air!