Happy National Fried Chicken Day!
Today is a favorite day among many people below the Mason-Dixon line. To celebrate, I thought I would share a classic recipe for this beloved Southern dish.
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1 to 2 ½ pound) chicken, cut into pieces
- Oil for frying
- In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, and black pepper.
- Dip the chicken in the egg, and then coat in the flour mixture.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees F. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.
- Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp, no more than 15 minutes.